Guidelines for Payment of Accompanists
The Guild cannot dictate the level of fees charged by its members. It does, however, provide guidelines for accompanists and potential employers regarding appropriate fee levels. The hourly fee for rehearsals sits between $80-$100, depending on the demands to be undertaken. The fee may vary based on the difficulty of the works, logistics of the performance or exam, and/or the experience of the accompanist. Student accompanists may be prepared to work for a lower fee (75% is recommended).
Recommended minimum fees for 2023 (plus GST if applicable):
- Level 1 exams – $64.00 (up to Grade 4)
- Level 2 exams – $80.00 (Grades 5-8 and Certificate)
- Level 3 exams – $100.00+ (Diploma Exams). This is subject to the difficulty of works to be prepared and performed, and to be discussed and set by the pianist undertaking the work.
- Rehearsals – $80.00 per hour
Cancellation fees may apply. In the field of accompaniment, there are often last minute changes which are inconvenient and result in loss of income. The Guild recommends cancellation fees be applied as follows:
- If less than 48 hours notice – 50% of the total fee payable
- If less than 24 hours notice – 75% of the total fee payable
- If no notice given – 100% of the total fee payable
The Committee urges all accompanists to make their fee structure clear before undertaking accompanying work. Some accompanists may agree to quote on a “package” deal – where an agreed fee might include a rehearsal/s and the performance.
Please Note: The fee for accompaniment of tertiary auditions or recordings has been set at $85.00 per audition. This should include a short warm-up with the student where possible.
You must be logged in to post a comment.